This recipe makes about 18 + cookies
I felt like making some healthy cookies to have as a snack. These cookies worked out great and are easy to make.
What you need:
*¾ cup quinoa, *1 ½ cup of water
*1 teaspoon cinnamon, *½ cup whole wheat flour, *½ almond flour, *½ cup ground flax seeds, *½ cup pure maple syrup, *2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, *2 tablespoons of coconut oil (melt on low heat), *1 egg, *½ cup of walnuts, *2 bananas (1 to be used as topping), *½ mango
1. Rinse off the quinoa and cook it together with the water for about 15 min on low heat.
2. Once it’s done, let it cool off for about 5-10 min.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 ˚F (175 ˚C). Add the dry ingredients: cinnamon, flour and flax seeds in a bowl.
4. Add the quinoa and mix it together with a wooden spoon or a spatula. In a separate bowl, add the wet ingredients: vanilla, maple syrup, egg and coconut oil. Mix the wet ingredients together.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients and the quinoa.
6. Chop one of the bananas into small pieces, chop the walnuts and cut the mango into smaller pieces. Add it to the dough.
7. Mix it gently together, using a wooden spoon or a spatula.
8. Line a baking tray with baking/parchment paper and make cookies the size of a topped tablespoon. Use your hands to make them round and then gently push them down a little, to make them flatter. Take the other banana and cut it into thin slices and put one slice on top of each cookie.
Cook for about 17 – 20 min on 350 ˚F or 175 ˚C. When they’re done, take them out and cool on a cooling rack.
The cookies taste great without the egg as well. If you want the cookies to be gluten free, simply switch the flour with gluten free flour. Quinoa is naturally gluten free. You can also leave out the mango if you don’t like it 🙂