A healthy portion of granola is the best morning fuel if you ask me 🙂 I love the combination of the nuts, apple sauce, spices and oats in this granola. It gives you a good portion of protein, dietary fiber and healthy omega 3 fats. So much better than the stuff you get in the grocery stores – nutrition vice and taste vice. Trust me!
Quinoa is considered one of the healthiest foods out there and should be included in your diet is because it is a complete protein, meaning that it contains all the essential 9 amino acids which your body can’t produce by itself. It is also rich in vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber.
4 cups rolled oats
1/2 unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 cup raw, uncooked quinoa
4 tbs coconut oil
4 tbs maple syrup
1/2 cup seeds (I used sunflower seeds, pepitas/pumkin seeds and flax seeds)
5 tbs chia seeds
1 cup + 1/4 cup nuts, chopped (I used almonds, pecans and hazelnuts)
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
2-3 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cardamom (optional)
pinch of salt
1 cup of dried fruit (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 300 ˚F/150 ˚C.
2. Add all the ingredients in a big bowl (except the dried fruit if you are using it) and mix it well together.
3. Spread the mixture on to baking trays layered with baking sheets/parchment paper.
4. Let it bake for about 30-45 min, depending on how crunchy you want it. Check every 15 minutes and use a spoon to mix everything around so it gets baked evenly.
5. Let the granola cool off completely once its finished baking and add dried fruit if you wish.
Store in an airtight container for up to 14 days.
Make sure to check that it isn’t burning as burnt granola isn’t very pleasant. This granola taste great if you add raisins to it once it has cooled off.
Serve with berries, yoghurt, milk etc. Enjoy 🙂