I love that quinoa can be used in so many recipes and make a great and healthy substitute for a lot of stuff, such as rice in this case. I used the vegetable I had on hand in this recipe, a mix between fresh and frozen. You can easily substitute any of the vegetables with your favourite veggies. This makes up a delicious meal, high in protein and fiber. Enjoy.
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 tsp coconut oil
1.5 cups pumpkin puree (about 15 oz/425 grams), make your own or use canned
1 onion, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 handful spinach, roughly chopped
1.5 cups green peas or other vegetables (I used a mix of frozen green peas and green beans)
2 carrots, peeled and chopped into small pieces
4-5 mushrooms, chopped
salt and pepper
1. Cook the quinoa, follow the cooking instructions on the back of the package.
2. Add the coconut oil on a frying pan and start to sauté the onion and garlic, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and carrots and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes.
3. Pour in the pumpkin puree. Bring to a boil and then turn down the heat to medium low.
4. Once the quinoa has finished cooking, add it to the pumpkin mixture as well as the remaining ingredients (green peas, spinach, salt and pepper).
5. Let it cook for a few more minutes and enjoy.